Sunday, March 29, 2009

Friday of Spring Break

When I woke up Friday morning my eye was crusted shut. Thank You Christine!! Before we left Christine had an ear infection, a sinus infection and pink eye. Apparently I had caught at least the pink eye from her…Needless to say; I was not a happy camper. We got ready to check-out (we were staying at a different hotel for the next two nights that were closer to the attractions in London) and grabbed breakfast at the buffet. We were meeting my friend Lilly in London at 10:30 and we left our hotel at 9:20. We took a shuttle to the airport because that was the easiest place to catch the Tube. By the way, I love the Tube, but it is SO SLOW! Haha. We got on the Piccadilly line into the city. They announce the termination point for each line and it just so happened that our line terminated at Cockfosters…ha..ha. We couldn’t help but giggle a little every time it was announced.
When I first got on the Tube I figured it would function just like any other metro. Nope. The Tube likes to close major stations and stops. Christine and I were on the Tube for an hour before we figured out that this wasn’t going to work. We were already going to be late for Lilly. We were about half way there so we figured we would get off and walk the rest of the way. We had our entire luggage collection at this point because we hadn’t checked into our new hotel yet. SO heavy. If you can’t tell, we LIKE trekking through foreign cities with massive backpacks. NOT. We walked for what seemed like forever and had to call Lilly and tell her to meet us in a different stop. We were going on a bike tour through London at 11am and it was already 10:50. We hailed a taxi and asked the driver to take us to the bike tour spot. We got into the taxi and drove in a MASSIVE circle because all the roads were closed too. What is it with London? When I say a massive circle I mean a £10 circle. That’s a big circle.
He dropped us off and we gave up haha. We called Lilly and we picked a different spot to meet. Unfortunately, this spot was inside the biggest park in London, Hyde Park. So yes, we got lost AGAIN haha. We found Lilly eventually and headed to our hotel. We checked-in (it was GORGEOUS!) and got settled.
After settling in we had to decide what we were going to do since we only had a day and a half left. We decided to do the sights on Saturday and do fun little things for the rest of the afternoon and night. The first stop on our list was Abbey Road! We walked Abbey Road and took pictures! (and stopped traffic in the process  ).
Then went to Harrods, and when I walked in I felt like I was in heaven. I turned to Christine who could not WAIT to go to the National Gallery the next day and I said “Christine, this is MY “National Gallery”!!!!!” I can’t even start to tell you about the clothes that I saw in there. They were breathtaking. I ran into the Pharmacy there too to grab some eye drops for my nasty eye 
Then we decided we would take in a show in London so we got ticket to see Wicked! We were all so excited! We were buying tickets late and they only had a few seats left. We were going to pay £60 for not-so-good seats, but then the guy selling the tickets cut us a deal. He felt bad for us and they had three seats together, right in the best section of the house, FOR THE SAME PRICE!! TALK ABOUT SCORING A DEAL!!! So we saw Wicked and it was wicked (sorry I had to, talking about London and all…).
After the show we called it a night and left Lilly at the Tube station. Christine and I thought that we had gotten a hang of the Tube system but apparently we were wrong. We rode the same line (but four different trains) for an hour before we found the way home. We kept going back and forth between Baker Street Station and the Finchley Road stop. So sketchy! We couldn’t understand what the issue was! Eventually we figured out that it was because all the stations were being repaired. We made it back though, and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment