Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Saturday in Capri!

we woke up early to take a ferry to Capri for the day. So much fun!!
On the ferry a man approached us and asked us if we wanted to see the Grotta Azzurra. I had no idea what it was but my friend did so we decided to go. Apparently, it is the MAIN tourist attraction in Capri….haha so much for knowing where I am. We bought tickets for the boat ride to the Grotta Azzurra, and when we got off the ferry in Capri we went straight there.
When you get to the area of the Grotta Azzurra, you can’t go in it with a normal boat because the opening is too small. It was literally two feet high when I was there because it was high tide. Since the opening is so small, people are transferred from the bigger boats, that take them out to the Grotta, to super small row boats that take you into the Grotta Azzurra. I got into a small boat with my friend and a family of three from Argentina. Haha…typical. I would find the only Spanish people in Capri.
Anyway, we were getting closer and closer to the opening of the cave, but it wasn’t until we were just about to enter it that I realized just HOW low the opening actually is!! I shimmied down (on top of the Argentinean family) and laid as flat as I could in the bottom of the boat. It’s a good thing! Because my head would have gotten chopped off if I didn’t move! WE WERE SO FRIGGING CLOSE TO THE ROCKS! Let me repeat….we were moving toward the opening, next thing I know I was franticly trying to keep from being decapitated while at the same time trying to pretend that the guy rowing the boat wasn’t laying completely on top of me so he could fit through as well. Good Times in Capri…
Needless to say, the Grotta Azzurra was SO PRETTY! I literally can not describe it with words…it was soo BLUE. On the boat there, we met two women who were traveling together around Italy. The originally came over to visit one of their daughters and were just going from place to place after that. When they found out we were studying in Italy as well, we struck up conversation that lasted the whole boat ride.
When we made it back to Capri (the land part of it anyway) we asked the women if they knew anywhere that was good for lunch. They said that they were going to hike up to the town center (at the top of this massive mountain) and see what was up there. We decided we would go along. We wanted to go up to the center anyway.
After what seemed like an endless climb to the top (it took forever!) we all of a sudden passed through a massive archway and were in the middle of this quaint but amazingly stunning town center of Capri. Once we were up there we decided to go to a famous pizza place for lunch. We walked in and soon realized that they served more than pizza….and stuff that was a lot more expensive than pizza. My friend and I figured…”Hey, how often are we at the top of a mountain in the historical town center of Capri in a nice restaurant? Let’s go all out”. We literally just decided this when the woman whose daughter the two women went to visit said that we could pick whatever we wanted…and it was on her. SO NICE! So we got some delicious fish and shrimp pasta!
After lunch we had to catch the ferry to Ischia so we had to say bye to our new found friends. They were so NICE! We really enjoyed lunch with them.
After the ferry ride back, we took a nap and then went downtown for some dinner. More fish….go figure! How could I not take advantage of the fishy opportunity presented before me?! After dinner we were exhausted to we decided to call it an early night again…but not before getting another gelato

No comments:

Post a Comment